This is not a referendum about abortion in limited circumstances. The Government has published its plan¹ for a new abortion law if the 8th Amendment is repealed.
The Government is planning:
- Abortion without restriction up to 12 weeks, for any reason (See ‘Head 7’)
- Abortion up to 6 months on the same grounds that has led to abortion on demand in Britain – unspecified mental health grounds (See ‘Head 4’ and definitions in ‘Head 1’)
- Free abortions paid for with your taxes²
- Abortions performed in your local GP surgeries and hospitals
- Irish citizens would have no vote on future abortion laws
- Foreign abortion clinics setting up in Ireland for profit
This plan is more extreme than the law in Britain which results in almost 200,000 abortions every year³. The only way to prevent abortion on demand in Ireland is to Vote No.